Any stats on number of Americans living in Panama?

Discussion in 'Living in Panama' started by Michael, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Michael

Michael New Member

I'd be interested to know how many Americans live in Panama on a full-time or part-time basis. Does anybody know? Has there been a study about that that you could direct me to?

2. pan

pan New Member

During his trip to Panama in November 2005, George W. Bush said that 25,000 US citizens live in Panama. I've heard higher number in the past, but 25,000 seems about right to me.

3. Bernard

Bernard New Member

How about Europeans???

4. Michael

Michael New Member

Thanks pan! That's very interesting to know... I had no idea so many Americans live in Panama. Do you know if there had any study been made on this? Thanks again!

Cheers,

Michael

5. Frank

Frank New Member

I wonder how many Germans there are in Panama?

6. mariee

mariee New Member

Are there many ex-Americans living in Panama?

United States citizens still have to pay income taxes to the United States government no matter where they live. For that reason, I would think people would try to give up their United States citizenship if moving to Panama.

7. randy

randy New Member

Not a good move unless you have no plans on ever leaving Panama again. If you do, and all you have is Panamanian citizenship, you'll be treated as a run-of-the-mill third world citizen wherever you go.

8. craigguy

craigguy New Member

I suppost that's true. I just wonder if it is worth paying so much taxes to the U.S. government just for citizenship, when you aren't even living in the country.

9. randy

randy New Member

That's true. I guess the alternative is to obtain Canadian or European citizenship (if you qualify) so you can travel without hassles, and to live outside the country of citizenship e.g. in Panama so you don't have to pay any taxes.

10. MRWOOHOO

MRWOOHOO New Member

I am pretty sure that as long as you dont make more than $80K/yr outside the country you dont pay taxes on it. Any money you make in the USA you pay taxes on. If you incorporate in Panama and implement the great banking system you probably dont have that much to worry about. As always hire a good attorney in Panama.

11. expatplayer

expatplayer New Member

The US counts money made from investments as income, which can put some people over that $80,000.

12. killian

killian New Member

As Panama is not a very big country, 25 thousand is a good number of American people there, most of them must be investors I guess :)

13. Nosfer

Nosfer New Member

well i know that Panama has around 3 mil population, so.. if there are 25,000 americans... if means there are quite a lot... anyway.. if i would be american, i'll definetely open a small business here.

14. MonAmb

MonAmb New Member

Very interesting to find out that there are 25,000 Americans living in Panama. I would definitely like to know how many Europeans or British people are living in Panama, i cannot see it being a high number with it being so far away from Europe. Heck, what am i saying, I've seen plane trips going for something stupid like $40 these days, crazy prices really. I would like to know how much a cheap airplane ticket to Panama costs. Anyone have any clues?

15. panamapal

panamapal New Member

25,000 is a lot of people. That must inspire some expat focused businesses in Panama.

16. triptrop

triptrop New Member

Great Info

17. miki2008

miki2008 New Member

Wow! 25,000 sounds like a lot of people but I guess when you measure it up against the 2-3 million that live in panama it isn't quite a large number.

18. expat

expat New Member

Does anyone have a clue as to how many ethnic Chinese live in Panama? My wife is Chinese, and it would be good for her if there were a lot around. I'm not Chinese myself, but I speak the language, and it would be good for me to stay in practice.

19. MRWOOHOO

MRWOOHOO New Member

If you are looking to be around ethnic Chinese come to El Dorado. Anywhere around the El Dorado mall you will find what you are looking for. There are just as many Chinese as there are Panamanians.

20. pranith

pranith New Member

I dont know exactly how many Americans are in Panama, I think you check with the American Embassy.