Panama GPS Map - Which one to buy?

Discussion in 'Living in Panama' started by leonoe, Jun 4, 2012.

1. leonoe

leonoe New Member

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and came across this forum while searching for a GPS Map for my Garmin - I will be traveling to Panama and plan to rent a car to explore several areas and need a good GPS map. Reading several forum posts as well as info from other sites, there seems to be some controversy between two different companies calling themselves "PTY-GPS" and their owners. Here are the links to the 2 websites:

PTY GPS Home

PTyGPS GARMIN Panama MAPS $45 V 3.3.8

Can someone please tell me which of the 2 websites is the appropriate one to order the GPS map? :confused: I'm not looking to rehash the controversy, simply an answer to which one is the legitimate source map...

Thanks

2. bicar

bicar New Member

I'd go with the first one...I believe that is the original developer.

3. holl1

holl1 Member

The second one says Released 17 July 2011.

That means not a single road direction can be correct in the city anymore.

4. sjc

sjc New Member

5. leonoe

leonoe New Member

Thanks for the replies... I also believe that the first one (PTY GPS Home) is the real one but am concerned that the latest update is from July 2011.

Are there any other sources of good GPS maps for Panama other than PTY-GPS? I frankly do not want to take a chance with either website and rather go with another solution if possible... Even if I have to buy a GPS when I get to Panama.

Any advice is appreciated... Thanks

6. holl1

holl1 Member

For $45 why don't you do everyone a service and buy both and nail down a detailed review here.

7. leonoe

leonoe New Member

Because I joined this forum to avoid having to buy both! :) It's less about the money and more about which one works. I'll be jumping off my flight, getting into my rental car and need for my GPS to work immediately with the correct directions to get me around. I do not have the luxury of uploading different maps to see which one works or is better...

8. TennVol

TennVol New Member

This is the legitimate website/vendor for the program: PTY GPS Home

I have Steve's program and I've received several updates from him over the years. I've spoken to Steve several times on the phone and he's been very helpful on loading the maps and the updates to my Garmin units. Steve is the owner/programmer/designer & he is a Brit, so there is no language barrier when speaking to him. He also answers his emails very quickly!

I've used both of my GPS units multiple times on multiple trips and they've been a life saver. Buy with confidence.

9. vornado

vornado Member

If you have a smartphone and a data plan, you could use the App Waze. You can find it here: Free GPS Navigation with Turn by Turn - Waze . It is actually very good, it gives you real time traffic reports and it is free.

10. Rickmasta

Rickmasta New Member