Seizing Property and Squatter Laws

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by holl1, Mar 1, 2013.

1. holl1

holl1 Member

New bill 433 on the way.

The national government of Panama is close to extending an existing law so they can seize unproductive property in Casco Viejo (Antiguo).

They also want to extend squatter rights and transfer property that has been left with squatters for 15 years inside them (all this while making it close to impossible to evict them of course).

Given that squatters are all over the place in Casco Viejo this will create very interesting legal problems.

Combine this with Bill 102 which proposed seizure of unproductive farm land you can clearly see where property rights is heading here.

DO NOT INVEST IN PANAMA!!!

2. globaltreker

globaltreker New Member

When are they going to start confiscating all those dark and unproductive condos in the city? There are lots of Condos that are not being used to their full potential. Why don't they use the same law to take those and give them to the poor down trodden Panamanian? Doesn't he deserve and have "rights" to live the same lifestyle as the extranjero's do??? What a waste to see so many empty buildings and units hardly ever used when there are people in poor neighborhoods all over who could make better use of them. After all it is their country and they have "rights" as is pointed out all the time here on this forum!!!!

3. nakedguydb

nakedguydb New Member

i think if you read the full agreement it says that you have to start renos in either 2 or 3 yrs , these people who bought signed into this now they have to shit or get off the pot , . its not like they did not know , i think it was done to stop speculators from buying everything up and then just sitting on it , the neighbourhood would never get finished then ,

4. holl1

holl1 Member

Maybe they don't want to or cannot start renovations since there are squatters in them? Maybe they don't have the cash right now for it or want to do something else.

If they want to renovate this Cuban style it will fall apart like a house of cards.

What they should be is remove all tax benefits, fine them for all tax benefits in the past and maybe add some additional annual fine for non-renovated property within certain boundaries.

5. nakedguydb

nakedguydb New Member

well those were the rules going in , they should have had the funds or a plan , , not saying that the goverment could not do something else but this is one way . deep pockets could buy up everything and just wait while you and i look at the eye sore ,the squatter prolbem i dont have any info about . its like speeding we all know the rules , sometimes you win , sometimes the cops win ,

6. BalaBeacher

BalaBeacher New Member

Oh please. Squatters in your place? Throw them out. This isn't Detroit! Even the Panama policia don't care!

7. holl1

holl1 Member

8. globaltreker

globaltreker New Member

Holy shit 1989? That is not a lengthy process that is a lifetime!!!!!! Their rent was dirt cheap but why bother paying if you can live free for 25 years!! This is how it works here unfortunately.

9. holl1

holl1 Member

10. nakedguydb

nakedguydb New Member

well it abvious the company has not been active in this matter before ,and it also states the company is owed 400 g from this and 32 million from something else . so yes it is a long time but kind of a misleading story , things can be different , for example near me a gringo gets a local to lease him a house for 5 years , starts renting it out to other gringos but forgets to pay the local the small amount of rent she asked for , he always had a excuse that soon the money would be paid . for 2 years she believed him and then one day got a court order, if he steps foot on the property the current renter has to phone the cops , the renter now pays the rent to the owner of the house and both parties are very happy , so the system works and its not always the local screwing the gringo . there are dirt bags on both side of the fence here ,

11. globaltreker

globaltreker New Member

Wow I love stories like that where the gringo is screwing the local for a change, we need more stories like that one!!:)

12. nakedguydb

nakedguydb New Member

yes having everyone in town knowing that you are a loser is quite a accomplishment , i am sure he feels real proud about it ,

13. globaltreker

globaltreker New Member

Pana Payback gotta love them getting a taste of their own medicine for a change!!

14. nakedguydb

nakedguydb New Member

the stories i really like is the ones from my waitress friends , like when some gringo comes in and talks down to them ,how the whole kitchen staff spits in there food . now thats funny , know what i mean

15. globaltreker

globaltreker New Member

I think that qualifies as normal for most Panas.

16. holl1

holl1 Member

I have left several restaurants in the middle of the meal without paying due to extremely poor service/food. It's the best way to complain and you also avoid the issue with Panamanian culture mentioned below.