Water Shortage by Sectors (Panama City)

Discussion in 'Living in Panama' started by Thegreatoggy, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Thegreatoggy

Thegreatoggy New Member

With the recent water issues, here's a place to post the "announced" water shortages:

No Water Every 2nd day from 8h00AM to 8h00PM (starting Dec 15th without water)

• El Dorado
    • San Antonio
    • Brisas del Golf
    • Juan Diaz
    • Pedregal
    • 24 de Diciembre
    • Punta del Este
    Wednesday Dec 15th from 4h00PM to 1h00PM

• Villa Grecia

2. Liont

Liont New Member

May I ask why there is a water shortage? Is it "systemic", or due to some works?
    I saw the notice on the lift, but cannot read Spanish.

3. CyberKat17

CyberKat17 New Member

Just spoke with an amiga in the Milla 8 area - no water for two days now

4. becky7474

becky7474 New Member

I read on another forum that it has to do with the rain causing the water to be muddy and therefore harder to clean.

5. Liont

Liont New Member

I see. I go to some restaurants and they close the bathrooms because no water. I wonder how they cook and wash without water?
    I was just telling my husband - put 2 buckets out in the rain, you get water faster that way than waiting for the tap.

6. jonr

jonr New Member

I'd be looking at a large (say 100 gallon) pressure tank + check valve like I have here in the US.

7. TennVol

TennVol New Member

The last home I rented in PC before coming back to the States (1999) had a large blue plastic 100 gal water tank with an electric pump. I would never own or rent a home anywhere in Panama without one. The water always seemed to go off at the worst times.

8. becky7474

becky7474 New Member

That is one of the first things we did here at our house, only the tank is 660 gallons.

9. Liont

Liont New Member

Say you live in a rented apartment, where would be the best place to put this huge water tank? Serious question, I am not trying to be funny. I have no experience in this.

10. janl

janl New Member

Gaaah no water now for more then 24 hours... Getting annoying... Does anyone know a good place to buy a water tank with pump, preferably at a place where they know a thing or 2, and where they have people who can install it?
    Thanks!

11. threadbare

threadbare New Member

That is the problem with living in the city, you are dependent upon city services for water, garbage etc.. Panama city has done a poor job on these. If you live in the interior with your own well and backup power you don't have these problems. People have now gone for weeks without water and months without trash pickup. Hopefully the new trash initiative will get the stuff off the streets.

12. Liont

Liont New Member

I have some vouchers for Home Depot. I am going there this weekend. Do you think I should get a water pump and get it shipped with the container to Panama City?

13. threadbare

threadbare New Member

The application of the pump makes a difference for what type you should get. A shallow well, deep well, Pump for storage tanks, submersible, Electrical situation 110v or 220v, lift and head, size of well 2", 4" 8" , water level in drop pipe etc.. There are many variables and everyones situation is unique. You might need to know more about the demands being placed on the pump. I plan to sink my own well (have done it before) if necessary. I also have a friend on this blog who I am going to help make his well more efficient with a larger pocket of reserve water when I get settled. One advantage to having a good clean high capacity well is that you can provide water to others when disaster strikes.

14. janl

janl New Member

Yes ok but i live here for now :D So does anyone know a good company to buy these things?

15. Liont

Liont New Member

Thanks. I am thinking more of a storage tank. Whatever it is, it is definitely not as simple as I thought!

16. threadbare

threadbare New Member

A great advantage in Panama is rolling hills and elevation. I don't know your situation but a good gravity feed system can produce enough pressure to eliminate the need for a pump. A 1.5" pipe from your tank necked down to fit your home supply will also boost pressure.